Teaching Colleges in Meghalaya
Here is a list of all the quality institutions, engaged in grooming professionals for this noble profession.
1. College of Teacher Education (PGT)
The College Of Teacher Education came into existence in the year 1964. The institution aspires to create a tradition of excellence by providing training to teachers to the enterprise of human service.
College of Teacher Education (PGT) is one of the first Teacher Training Institutions in Shilllong, besides St. Edmund’s which was under the University of Calcutta.
A) Four Core Papers on Education, these being :- Total Marks 700
Written Internal Assessment Paper I 80 20 Paper II 80 20 Paper III 80 20 Paper IV 80 20
B) Method Subjects (one has to choose any two method subjects)
Written Internal Assessment Paper V 80 20 Paper VI 80 20
C) Elective group: Additional Specialization (one is to select any one from the group)
Written Internal Assessment Paper V II 80 20
The highlights being:-
- Preparation of Teaching aids.
- Preparation of Unit Plan, Resource Plan.
- Setting of question papers.
- Administration of simple psychological tests.
- Ground work on educational statistics.
- Performing simple experiments in the laboratory (for Science students only).
- Undertaking a project work on any of the topics related to the field of education.
- Work experience.
College of Teacher Education (PGT)
- Govt. B.Ed College
Tura, West Garo Hills, Shillong,
Meghalaya, pin- 794002
Course offered:Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
(Recognized By N.C.T.E., New Delhi)
Duration- 1 year
- North-Eastern Hill University
Nehu Campus P.O. Shillong 793022
Course offered: M.Ed
- Post Graduate Training College
Graduate Boyce Road, Shillong, Meghalaya, pin- 793003
Course Offered: Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
(Recognized by N.C.T.E., New Delhi)
Duration- 1 year
- St. Mary’s College of Teacher Education
St. Mary’s College of Teacher Education, formerly, St. Mary’s B.T. College was established in 1937 to fulfill the necessity of a Women’s Teacher Training College in North East. Initially, it was successively affiliated to the Calcutta University in April 1937, Guwahati University 1948 and the North-Eastern Hill University in 1973.
The vision of St. Mary’s College of Teacher Education is to produce teachers of excellence who will raise the overall standard of school education by imparting value added and quality education to the aspirants.
St. Mary’s College of College of Teacher Education plays the pioneering role in providing teacher education for woman. The institution is considered as a premier educational institution in the North Eastern region.
In 2006 the College was accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Bangalore, at B level and an institutional score of 81%, the first teacher training college in the North East to be accredited.
A. Core Papers Total Marks 700 Written IA Paper I Teacher in Emerging Indian Society 80 20 Paper II Development of Learning and Teaching Learning Process 80 20 Paper III Development of Educational System in India with special Reference to North Eastern Region 80 20 Paper IV Secondary Education and the Teacher 80 20 B. Optional Papers: Teaching Specialization Total Marks 700 Written IA Paper V Any two - Method subjects Paper VI Any two - Method Subjects
- Methodology of Modern Indian Languages
- Methodology of Teaching English
- Methodology of Teaching Physical Science
- Methodology of Teaching Life Science
- Methodology of Teaching Geography
- Methodology of Teaching Mathematics
- Methodology of Teaching History
- Methodology of Teaching Health & Physical Ed.
- Methodology of Teaching Social Studies
80 20 C. Elective Group - Additional Specialization Total Marks Written IA Paper VII Any one special paper
- Educational Organization and Management
- Alternative Education
- Environmental Education
- Population Education *
- Career Information in Career Guidance *
- Elementary Education *
- Educational and Mental measurement *
D. Field Based Experience Total Marks 400
1. Classroom Teaching :
Each Trainee is required to give 20 supervised lessons in each teaching specialization, five of which may be practiced in stimulated situation under the supervision of the College Teachers.
Records of these lessons given are to be maintained. Whenever possible, students may be placed in a school for a block period of 3-4 weeks to work as internee-teachers so that in addition to practice teaching they take part in other activities of the school.
All lessons are to be supervised by the College subject teacher/college teachers or by the class teachers.
2. Practical Work :
The items of practical work are placed under the following two categories;
Items carrying no marks, but to be completed by every student.
- Science experiments relevant to school syllabus (for students offering Science Method) 10 experiments
- Operation of Audio - Visual Equipment - All available equipment in the Institution.
- Preparation of unit plans (supervised group work) (2 Plans)
- Observation of lessons taught by good teachers in each method subject (With observation lesson record maintained)
- Observation of demonstration lessons in each method subject (observation record maintained) (10 Lessons)
- Construction of test items, unit test and examination question paper in each method subject with records maintained. (Group Work) (20 1 1)
- Participation in Co-curricular Activities organized by the College.
- Work experience.
Boyce road, Laitumkhrah, Shillong
Meghalaya, pin- 793003